US: Diageo lifts Smirnoff capacity with plant upgrade
The plant opened in 1966
Diageo has completed a US$120m upgrade at one of its US bottling plants.
The expansion at its Plainfield, Illinois, site includes three new bottling lines, a production area for small-scale speciality products and packaging machines, the company said yesterday (6 August). The facility will be able to bottle more Smirnoff vodka flavours as a result of the upgrade, Diageo said.
The Plainfield plant has undergone a number of expansions since it opened in 1966, including a $20.2m upgrade in 2009, when it handled 25m cases a year. The latest investment has increased its output to 31m cases.
Larry Schwartz, Diageo North America's president said: “The investment we have made in our manufacturing network demonstrates our commitment to developing this important part of our business.”
Diageo has added 100 jobs at the plant since 2011, bringing the total workforce to 600.
The group last week reported a rise in full-year profits and sales boosted by its performance in North America.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer