AFRICA: Diageo installs COO for Africa unit
Diageo is intensifying its focus on Africa
Diageo is upping its focus on Africa by bringing in a chief operating officer for the region, a newly-created role.
Andy Fennell, currently the group's chief marketing officer, will take on the post from 1 July. His job title will also be 'president' for Diageo Africa, but he will report to the group's regional president, Nick Blazquez, whose remit also includes Eastern Europe and Turkey.
"Andy's role will be more an operational and commericial one," a Diageo spokeperson told just-drinks today (6 June).
Fennell will remain based in London.
"In his new role, Andy will work with Nick and their talented teams to further strengthen our leading position in Africa, a region with enormous potential,” said Diageo's COO and CEO-in-waiting Ivan Menezes.
In a Q3 trading update in April, Diageo reported that its Africa, Eastern Europe and Turkey sales were up by 9%.
Replacing Fennell as CMO will be Syl Saller, Diageo's global innovation director. Saller will also join the group's executive committee.
In other changes announced today, Diageo said its HR director Gareth Williams is retiring and will step down from the executive committee at the end of this month. His replacement will be Leanne Wood, presently the group's global talent and organisational effectiveness director.
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research