US: Diageo continues Tequila spree with Peligroso buy
Diageo has added Peligroso to its Tequila portfolio
Diageo has made another foray into the Tequila category with the purchase of the Peligroso brand.
The company, which bought the DeLeón Tequila brand earlier this month through a JV with rap artist and producer Sean 'Diddy' Combs, said earlier today (27 January) that it will acquire Peligroso from Peligroso Spirits Co, a California-based venture founded by “two avid surfers”. The brand comprises four variants - Cinnamon, Silver, Reposado and Anejo – that retail between US$30 and $55 per 75cl bottle.
Peligroso is available in 12 US states.
“The acquisition of Peligroso will give Diageo an offering in super-premium ($20-$40) Tequila, the fastest growing Tequila segment in the US,” Diageo said. “With a popular cinnamon variant, Peligroso benefits from consumer interest in flavoured spirits in other categories like vodka and whiskey.”
When asked by just-drinks about financial terms of the deal, a spokesperson for Diageo said: “This investment is not material, and we’re not disclosing the terms.”
The company has been looking to plug the gap in its Tequila portfolio since talks to acquire the Jose Cuervo brand collapsed in late-2012.
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends