Exclusive - US: Dewar's Highlander Honey gets okay from SWA
Click through to view Dewar's Highlander Honey
The Scotch Whisky Association has clarified that Bacardi's Dewar's Highlander Honey is not in breach of laws defining the term 'Scotch whisky'.
Earlier today (15 March), just-drinks revealed that Bacardi has lined up the launch of Dewar's Highlander Honey. The extension of the Dewar's Scotch brand is described as “Dewar’s Scotch Whisky infused with Scottish Heather Honey filtered through Oak Cask Wood”.
The Scotch Whisky Order of 1990, which has since been updated by The Scotch Whisky Regulations, states: “Scotch whisky” means whisky to which no substance other than water and spirit caramel has been added."
However, a spokesperson for the SWA has told just-drinks that the new product does not break any laws regarding the definition of Scotch. "The product does not breach any defined descriptions for Scotch whisky in the US, because it is not Scotch whisky," the spokesperson said. "It's a new product made from Scotch whisky, along the same lines as Drambuie, for example.
"It's actually a spirit drink, we believe it states this somewhere on the labelling. The regulations only cover Scotch whisky, and it's not being sold as Scotch whisky.
"There is no issue with it saying it contains Scotch whisky, because those kind of products have been around for years."
Earlier today (4 September), the Scotch Whisky Association released details on Scotch exports in the six months to the end of June. Here, courtesy of the trade body, is a table of the 20 largest marke...
Diageo and Pernod Ricard have teamed up with other Scotch whisky makers to start twice-weekly shipments from Speyside by train....
Bacardi has launched the latest global push for its Dewar's Scotch whisky brand....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director