CANADA: DBRS downgrades Allied over fears of debt and competition
DBRS said that the downgrade reflected concerns that Allied has "pursued and is expected to continue to pursue select acquisitions that may singularly or in aggregate, raise debt levels and weaken the balance sheet".
The agency went on to say it was worried that Allied's desire to grow scale and brand portfolio will weaken coverage ratios beyond acceptable credit standards, despite the management's confidence to operate with higher future leverage and an evolving brand portfolio.
DBRS is also concerned that after Allied's failure to acquire the Seagram wine and spirits business it may now be seen in a relatively weaker competitive position.
DBRS said: "With Diageo's critical mass and an improving third-tier set of competitors, DBRS is also concerned that competitive levels in the industry may intensify once integration of these acquisitions is complete. [Allied's] potential transactions may have considerable benefits but these may be some time in coming and will raise integration risks in the meantime."
However DBRS also accepted that Allied had made positive moves in restructuring its business in recent years and that results should remain consistent with the highly profitable and stable spirits and wine division now accounting for 90% of turnover and EBIT.
"Credit measures are enhanced by the brand portfolio's strength, its reasonable geographic distribution and the overall stability of the spirits industry," said DBRS. "Further, Allied has improved its ability to generate strong and steady free cash flow without the capital-intensive pub network."
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India