US: Craft spirits boom continues in US on-trade - figures
Craft Tequilas have the largest share of the spirits market among niche producers
Craft spirits are continuing to significantly outpace mainstream brands in the US on-trade, with Tequila taking the largest share, according to latest figures.
Volumes of craft spirits in bars and restaurants rose in the first three months of this year by 26% and are up by 29% in the second quarter to date, tracking group GuestMetrics reported today (11 July). By contrast, mainstream spirits brands saw on-trade volumes drop by 2% in Q1, but have recovered slightly in Q2, with volumes down by 1.1%.
However, craft spirits' share of the US on-trade remains small. Niche producers accounted for 2.6% of the spirits market in this year's first quarter, rising to 3% in Q2-to-date.
In terms of sub-categories, Tequila leads the way for craft's on-trade share with 4.9% of that market. This is followed by cordials (3.8%), vodka (3.5%), brandy/Cognac (3.5%), Bourbons/blends (2%), rum (1.6%) and gin (1.3%), with a "negligible" volume share in Scotch, Irish, and Canadian whiskies.
The number of craft spirits brands sold in the US on-trade also rose by 7.6% in Q1. "We see this as a healthy sign for the underlying demand for craft spirits, given the growth is not just being driven by brand proliferation, and is likely a sign there is a lot of runway left for growth,” said Bill Pecoriello, GuestMetrics' CEO.
GuestMetrics previously reported that flavoured spirits made up half of US on-trade spirits volume growth in 2012.
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends