EU: Counterfeit drinks surge says Commission
Seizures of counterfeit alcoholic and soft drinks by European Union (EU) customs officials in 2003 were "possibly more than twice as high for some products as in the previous year," European Commission officials have told just-drinks.com.
There are no precise figures for types of drink but the Commission says there was an overall 77% rise in the number of seizures of counterfeit alcohol, soft drinks and juices (plus foodstuffs) during the year.
Besides the commercial damage this caused, it was also "a growing threat to consumer health and safety", just-drinks was told.
Officials said the seizures of bogus drinks rose again in 2004, and by an even larger margin than the enlargement of the EU could account for, (final figures will come later).
This was "confirmation counterfeiters have now turned to mass-produced items rather than luxury goods."
The growing problem of spirits counterfeiting not only results in loss of revenue for spirits companies but more alarmingly continues to cost lives. Keith Nuttall and Emma Jackson report on attempts b...
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
China’s entry into the WTO has been a catalyst for further growth in imported spirits but the likes of Diageo and Pernod Ricard are not the only ones eyeing the growth potential. Counterfeiters are al...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report