US: Coors gets into the RTD vibe
Colorado-based brewer, Coors Brewing Co, is set to increase its presence in the malt-based beverage sector with the launch of a new brand, Vibe, later this spring. Vibe should be available in at least eight major cities by early May.
Coors' existing malt beverage brand, Zima, which was launched in the 1990s, is to be re-packaged in order to tap into the growth in this area of the market. When hinting that it would be adding a new malt brand to the portfolio, Coors described the new product as "Zima's wild cousin".
Vibe is a fruit-flavoured malt drink with a 5% alcohol content. It is to have black and red packaging and will be sold in 12-ounce long-necked bottles. A further roll-out for the brand is planned for the autumn.
The arrival of Vibe on the market follows a number of "malternative" launches from major drinks groups in the US. And the boom in this sector shows no signs of slowing down. Spurred by the arrival of Smirnoff Ice in the US, the malternative category grew by 87% in 2001 compared with 2000. When compared with 12% growth in imported beer, 9% growth for premium light beer and 6% for premium beer, it is little wonder that the likes of Coors and Miller, not to mention a number of spirits producers are showing interest in the sector.
The Coors announcement follows the news that Brown-Forman is entering the malternative market with a Jack Daniel's malt variant being developed in collaboration with Miller. The Philip Morris-owned brewing group is also collaborating with Allied Domecq and Skyy Spirits on malt beverage line extensions. Not being left behind is the US number one brewing force, Anheuser-Busch, which is launching Bacardi Silver in partnership with the leading rum brand.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
Brown-Forman Corporation has elected Patrick Bousquet-Chavanne to the company's board of directors....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research