US: Constellation Brands to acquire full ownership of Crown Imports
Constellation Brands will take full ownership of Crown Imports
The import beer sales, marketing and distribution business is a 50-50 joint venture between Modelo and Constellation Brands, but the deal, announced today (29 June), will mean Constellation will take full ownership. The deal is expected to close during the first quarter of 2013, subject to regulatory approval.
The purchase price of US$1.85bn represents 50% of a multiple of around 8.5 times Crown’s EBIT.
“This is a significant milestone in the history of Constellation Brands,” said Rob Sands, Constellation's president & CEO. "Our full ownership of this significant beer business provides an additional strategic lever for driving overall profitable organic growth."
Under the terms of the deal, Constellation and Crown will have complete control of distribution, marketing and pricing for all Modelo brands in the US, while A-B InBev will "ensure continuity of supply".
Due to A-B InBev buying Modelo, it is likley the brewer would have faced competition issues over inheriting a stake in Crown, by taking its total distribution in the US to over 50%.
The penultimate part of just-drinks' review of 2012 looks at a tumultuous year for the wine category....
The wine category is, to put it tactfully, different in many ways. No more so than when it comes to its relationship with the environment. Part one of this month's four-part briefing on environmental ...
Last week we ran the first part of an exclusive interview with Constellation Brands' CEO Rob Sands. In this second and final part here, Sands discusses the group's spirits portfolio, its pending move ...
The current CEO of Constellation Brands, Rob Sands, is only the group's third boss in its 67-year history - and he's been with the firm for 26 years. Clearly, then, he'll know a things or two about th...
Hats off the Sunday Telegraph for breaking the story today (9 December) that Diageo has been sniffing around Beam Inc....
Just over six months after Troy Christensen assumed the position of CEO for Constellation Europe, I was granted an audience with him. We met in London in the summer of 2007 and, after three different ...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends