EU: Commission to propose alcohol forum
The European Commission's long-awaited alcohol policy paper will advocate an alcohol and health forum, charged with "monitoring" increased binge drinking by young people.
The paper, to be published on October 24, will urge the EU to focus on rising alcohol consumption among females, according to Commission officials.
The proposed forum would address issues including the selling, serving, marketing and image of alcohol. Andrew McNeill, honorary secretary of Eurocare, which campaigns against alcohol abuse, said he hoped this would lead to national governments being allowed to pursue their own anti-alcohol campaigns.
National campaigns had been held back so far because of concerns about legal action from Brussels over impeding intra-EU trade.
McNeill wants the Commission to declare that alcohol was a "special case" and to state that it was "okay for the member states to protect public health."
A Bordeaux wine producer has been fined EUR3,000 (US$4,038) and given a suspended sentence of two months in prison for labelling his rosé wine as clariet....
Systembolaget has been accused of favouritism in exchange for jobs in Sweden....
Anheuser-Busch has come out fighting against claims it is targeting children with one of its alcoholic brands....
US bottled water sales and consumption continue to rise, as consumers increasingly choose bottled water over other beverages, according to figures out this week....
A US consumer watchdog has attacked Anheuser-Busch for its "kid-friendly" marketing of Spykes....
Japanese beverage alcohol wholesaler Izmic Corp. has reportedly bought rival firm Yoshikawasyuhan Corp. for an undisclosed sum....
Sweden's Finance Ministry has confirmed that an official close to the planned privatisation of V&S Group has resigned....
V&S Group is set to beef up its distribution network in the Nordic region with the acquisition of Norwegian wine and spirits distributor Amundsen....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research