UK: Cold hot drinks sales boom helps steady overall market
Lipton Ice Tea is market leader among the products helping fuel the cold hot drinks sub-category
Volume sales of cold hot drinks, such as Lipton Ice Tea, rose by 24% in the UK last year, making it the fastest-growing sub-category in the country's soft drinks sector, a new report has revealed.
The Britvic Soft Drinks report 2012, released on Friday (March 16), showed the value of the sub-category jumped by 45% in 2011. Overall, the UK soft drinks market rose in value by 4% last year, but volumes stayed flat with an increase of just 1%, the report found.
Reflecting trends in the alcohol market, soft drinks growth was fuelled by the take-home sector as the on-trade struggled.
Sales in the take-home sector grew 7% by value to GBP7bn, with volumes increasing 1%. However, in the on-trade value fell 1% to GBP2.7bn as volumes fell 4%.
Murray Harris, Britvic's customer management director, said: “Consumers continued to face an extremely tough time in 2011, meaning they were careful with their spending and often opted for ‘big nights in’ at home.”
Pepsi was the number one brand in the on-trade with 8% value growth, followed by Coca-Cola with 11% value growth, the report said.
The report, based on data supplied by Nilesen and CGA, also found that online sales rose by 12%.
Richard Corbett has some encouraging words for Britvic, and that's something the company will warmly welcome right now....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts