INDIA: Coke, Pepsi await pesticide ruling
Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo received temporary relief today (12 December) in India's pesticides row when the country's Supreme Court delayed the verdict in the controversial contamination case for two months.
The court said it would wait for a forthcoming government food-safety report to be published before handing down a ruling.
Coke and Pepsi are now thought likely to escape revealing their secret drinks formulas, but may have to unveil detailed information regarding the pesticide allegations.
Earlier this year, the Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment alleged Coke and Pepsi products in India contained high levels of harmful pesticides, because they used poorly purified groundwater.
The report alleged that tests on 57 samples of Coke and Pepsi brands had found 24 times more pesticide than permitted.
This led to a lower court directing the companies to specify pesticide residues in their drinks, an order appealed as discriminatory by the soft drinks giants, as no other food product in India is bound by such a regulation.
A number of states also embarked on a partial ban on the sale of Coke and Pepsi products, with one state, Kerala, completing prohibiting their sale. Kerala has since had that ban overturned but is fighting to get it reinstated.
Coke and Pepsi have insisted their products were safe to drink. Pepsi embarked on an ad campaign to convince Indian consumers of the safety of its products.
The so-called 'mid-tier' level is proving the battlefield for mergers and acquisitions in the European soft drinks industry, according to a recent report....
PepsiCo's CEO has admitted she made a mistake in not standing up against the pesticides-in-cola controversy....
PepsiAmericas and PepsiCo are set to acquire 80% of Ukrainian juice company Sandora....
The Coca-Cola Co. has closed its acquisition of vitamin water maker Glacéau....
Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo. are locked into a bidding war for Ukrainian soft drinks producer Sandora during its final stages of auction....
The Coca-Cola Company has launched an extensive mobile marketing campaign for its Sprite brand....
The head of Coca-Cola Co. has been appointed to the Special Olympics board of directors....
The Coca-Cola Company has pledged to replace the water it uses in its beverages and their production at all its global operations and franchises....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015