INDIA: Coca-Cola India to re-enter powdered beverage category
Fanta is India's fourth largest selling ready-to-drink soft drink
Coca-Cola India is to re-enter the branded, powdered ready-to-drink market through its Fanta brand.
Coca-Cola confirmed to just-drinks yesterday (25 April) that it will re-enter the category at the INR5 (US$0.11) price point, targeting "the consumer segment at the bottom of the socio economic pyramid".
Its move marks the soft drinks giant's first foray into powdered beverages in India for six years.
The Fanta Fun Taste powder sachet contains enough to make one 20cl serving, with the consumer just needing to add water.
Fanta is India's fourth largest selling soft drink, currently available in a 20cl returnable glass bottle and sold at around INR8. The new format is being launched as a pilot in Mumbai and a couple of towns in Gujarat before a decision is made on whether to roll it out wider.
In the pilot phase, Fanta Fun taste powder will be retailed in around 15,000 outlets. Coca-Cola distributors will supply stocks to the retailers.
"Coca-Cola India's entry product for the segment has been enhanced with the
addition of Vitamins B3, B6, B9, B12," the firm said. "The sachet has pre-added sugar but there is no carbonation. The strategy behind entering the category with Fanta is in keeping with the brand connect that it enjoys with the teens along with its fun imagery, and great orangey taste."
SABMiller is focusing on local premium beers in Africa and believes that there is an untapped US$3.7bn of sales across nine of its key markets on the continent....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review