US: Coca-Cola Co speaks out over 'meritless' lawsuit
The Coca-Cola Co has shrugged off the claims made in the lawsuit
The Coca-Cola Co has branded a lawsuit that accuses it of misleading consumers over the ingredients of its namesake brand as “meritless”.
A class action complaint, filed in a federal court in Massachussets last week, claims the soft drinks group has decieved consumers into thinking that Coca-Cola is “natural and healthy”. The complaint, published by Atlanta Business Chronicle, states: “Sales of Coca-Cola ... are fueled by false and deceptive representations that Coca-Cola is not only a healthy product, but one free of artificial flavouring and chemical preservatives.”
The plaintiffs add: “Every container of Coca-Cola sold in the US either falsely states that it does not contain artificial flavouring and chemical preservatives, or fails to affirmatively state – as required by state and federal law – that it, in fact, contains both artificial flavouring and chemical preservatives.”
However, in a statement to just-drinks, the company said: “Since the first servings in 1886, Coca-Cola has had no artificial flavours or preservatives added. Our beverages are properly labelled in accordance with all applicable government regulations."
The company added: “These meritless lawsuits are a play by class action lawyers to profit under the pretence of protecting people. No one has been misled. This is simply a copycat of a complaint filed months ago.”
The Coca-Cola Co has claimed it is on course to be "water-neutral" in the next five years, and already replenishes 94% of the water it uses....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends