CHINA: Coca-Cola Co recalls contaminated Minute Maid
Coca-Cola recalled products in three provinces
The Coca-Cola Co's Greater China unit has recalled 19,000 cases of Minute Maid dairy drink after fears they are contaminated with a bacteria that can cause botulism.
In a statement on its website today (5 August), the unit said the products contain contaminated whey protein from New Zealand firm Fonterra, which over the weekend confirmed it had exported tainted ingredients to five countries, including China. The recalled Minute Maid Pineapple Pulpy Milky products are in Guangdong, Yunnan and Guangxi provinces, however, Coca-Cola said because of the heat-treatment process it uses, there is no risk to consumers.
Fonterra's CEO has reportedly apologised to consumers over the health scare. On Friday Fonterra said a batch of its whey protein, produced in May last year, contained a strain of the clostridium bacteria. Clostridium can cause the potentially fatal illness botulism.
Fonterra said there have been no reports of illness linked to the affected whey protein.
In 2008, China experienced a contaminated milk scandal in which six babies died and 300,000 people fell ill. The chairwoman of the company at the heart of the scandal, Sanlu Group, was sentenced to life in jail.
The Coca-Cola Co's has teamed up with Spanish footballer Andrés Iniesta to launch a global ad push for its Powerade sports drink brand. ...
SodaStream has backed its Super Bowl advert after broadcasters rejected the company's submission for the second year in a row because it name checks PepsiCo and the Coca-Cola Co....
The Coca-Cola Co's German unit has said discount supermarket Lidl is no longer ordering its products in the Western European country after a reported tussle over price....
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research