CHINA: Coca-Cola Co recalls contaminated Minute Maid
Coca-Cola recalled products in three provinces
The Coca-Cola Co's Greater China unit has recalled 19,000 cases of Minute Maid dairy drink after fears they are contaminated with a bacteria that can cause botulism.
In a statement on its website today (5 August), the unit said the products contain contaminated whey protein from New Zealand firm Fonterra, which over the weekend confirmed it had exported tainted ingredients to five countries, including China. The recalled Minute Maid Pineapple Pulpy Milky products are in Guangdong, Yunnan and Guangxi provinces, however, Coca-Cola said because of the heat-treatment process it uses, there is no risk to consumers.
Fonterra's CEO has reportedly apologised to consumers over the health scare. On Friday Fonterra said a batch of its whey protein, produced in May last year, contained a strain of the clostridium bacteria. Clostridium can cause the potentially fatal illness botulism.
Fonterra said there have been no reports of illness linked to the affected whey protein.
In 2008, China experienced a contaminated milk scandal in which six babies died and 300,000 people fell ill. The chairwoman of the company at the heart of the scandal, Sanlu Group, was sentenced to life in jail.
Danone France focused its efforts on its premium bottled water brands including Evian and Volvic. Bottled water is a challenging category in which to add value with considerable private label pressure...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
The Coca-Cola Co's has teamed up with Spanish footballer Andrés Iniesta to launch a global ad push for its Powerade sports drink brand. ...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research