US: Coca-Cola Co, PepsiCo post diet soda declines - figures
Coca-Cola beat PepsiCo in the regular CSD category
According to analysts CLSA, citing SymphonyIRI numbers released today (7 March), PepsiCo's regular CSD sales fell by 1.9% in the 12 weeks to 23 February. In the same period, Coca-Cola increased category sales by 1%.
Coca-Cola's diet drinks, however, fared worse, down 7.8% in the 12-week period. PepsiCo also struggled in the period, with its diet beverages losing 7.9% of sales year-on-year.
The numbers help confirm fears in the US market that diet soft drinks are falling out of favour with consumers because of health concerns over artificial sweeteners. In October, Dr Pepper Snapple Group's CEO said he was “shocked” by the decline in diet sodas, and in August Coca-Cola launched a US ad campaign backing artificial sweetener aspartame.
Coca-Cola's performance in the regular CSD category, however, will be a boost to the company, which along with the soft drinks industry has seen CSD volumes in the US drop over the past two years. In fourth-quarter results released last month, Coca-Cola posted a 3% volumes drop in North American sparkling volumes. The drop helped drive a disappointing Q4 that dragged down FY numbers.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Coca-Cola face a challenging situation in which economic recovery is fragile in developed markets, while China and Brazil are seeing a slowdown in sales. Consumers’ desire for diverse and healthy beve...
PepsiCo France SNC aims to reinforce its position in soft drinks by continuing to invest in product innovation and advertising. Over the forecast period the company’s sales are expected to benefit fro...
PepsiCo is present in both HW beverages and HW packaged food. It remains overly reliant on the sluggish HW carbonates category however, where consumers in the mature markets are becoming increasingly ...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts