US: Climate change to hit Californian wine output
Californian wine production could plummet by the middle of the century because of climate change, a new study warns.
According to research in the US scientific journal, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, wine production losses in California could hit 40%.
"Climate change should be an important factor in selecting perennial varieties and deciding whether and where they should be planted in California," said David Lobell, lead author of the study, produced by a collaboration of scientists at the Washington DC-based Carnegie Institution, Stanford University and University of California (UC), Merced.
"This study indicates that warmer temperatures will tend to reduce yields of these crops in their current locations," he said.
Lobell warned that although vines are typically planted once every 25-40 years, climate could change considerably in the lifetime of individual vines.
He added that while vineyards could move to cooler parts of California, the state's productive land is limited.
Hotter summers may have created some bumper years for drinks producers but climate change represents serious challenges to the drinks industry, not only in areas such as water and energy supply but in...
Concluding just-drinks’ harvest reports for 2006, we cross the Atlantic to take a look at the 2006 crop in the US. Anne Brockhoff reviews the harvest in the country’s largest and most prominent wine r...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research