VINEXPO / FRANCE: CL WorldBrands launches Hine XO Cognac
CL WorldBrands has launched Hine Antique XO Cognac at this week's Vinexpo wine show, putting its faith in Cognac lovers' willingness to continue spending money on luxury drinks in the economic downturn.
Priced at around EUR150, Hine Antique XO is a blend of 40 Champagne Cognacs and is set to be the flagship Hine Cognac around the world, Jacques Lelli, commercial director for Hine, told just-drinks at Vinexpo in Bordeaux.
The Cognac is being launched worlwide over the next few months and will enter duty free in September.
Lelli remained confident when questioned about the strategy of launching an XO Champagne Cognac Premier Cru during one the worst economic downturns the world has known for at least a generation.
"We have always positioned ourselves at the high end. For us, it is not about volumes."
He added: "We do not sell Hine in supermarkets, only in distribution channels that are carefully selected. You will find it in bars, restaurants and boutiques, not in Carrefour [the world's thid largest supermarket chain]."
The Cognac market has not surprisingly been affected by the global economic downturn, but, according to a new report from IWSR/just-drinks, Asian markets have proved relatively resilient, compensating...
From the vineyards of Australia to the boardrooms of the multi-nationals; from job losses and bankruptcies in the UK to the consolidation of the fragmented French sector - few aspects of the world's w...
Like the other sectors of our industry, the economy cast a shadow over the spirits category in 2009. The aftershocks of the downturn spread around the world, with Scotland appearing to be the epicentr...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Interviews of 2009....
China has given official recognition to Cognac's geographical indication - marking a first for a European product and guaranteeing better protection against counterfeiting for the French beverage in t...
W.J. Deutsch & Sons has teamed up with South American wine producer Corpora Group to launch two brands for Chile and the Patagonia region of Argentina in the US....
PPN, based in France's Cognac region, has launched its non-alcoholic digestif Security Feel Better in the UK....
Scotch whisky distillers have claimed resilience to the economic downturn after export volumes crept up in the first nine months of 2009....
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World