GLOBAL: China takes lead in red wine consumption
Chinese consumers are becoming increasingly attracted to red wine
China is now the world’s biggest consumer of red wine after a 136% jump in drinking levels in the last five years, according to latest figures.
Consumption of red wine in mainland China and Hong Kong reached 1.865bn bottles, or 155m nine-litre cases, in 2013, according to research by the IWSR and trade exhibition group Vinexpo published today (28 January).
Trailing China was France, where red wine consumption hit 150m cases last year, while Italian consumption reached 141m cases.
Despite a 2% slowdown in China consumption last year, red wine drinking levels grew an average of 27% between 2007-2012, the figures showed.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks today, Vinexpo chief executive Guillaume Deglise said: “Chinese consumers are getting increasingly into wine - it could be local or imported - and for most of the population they think of red. Also 99% of the wine the country produces is red varietals.” Red wine’s popularity is also partly attributed to the colour being a symbol of wealth, power and good luck in Chinese culture.
Around 80% of wine consumed in China is from domestic grapes, while the country’s is now the world’s fifth largest producer, the research showed.
By 2017 total wine consumption in China is expected to reach 230m nine-litre cases.
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends