US: Chilli Marketing eyes cider revamp with Rekorderlig launch
The team behind Rekorderlig cider's US launch has said consumers in the country still need educating about the category.
Chilli Marketing, which owns the global rights to the Swedish cider, unveiled Rekorderlig at an event in New York City last month. But while the cider has secured on- and of-trade listings in New York state and New Jersey as well as in Florida, Rekorderlig's US team said cider is still viewed as a “formal drink, quite an old-fashioned beverage”.
James Vincini, Chilli Marketing's brand communicator, told just-drinks yesterday (19 November): “We've seen the excitement from consumers, but now we need to have a re-education around what cider can be versus what people have experienced over the past few decades.”
Vincini said that because the flavoured cider category “is relatively untapped” in the US, he sees a “huge opportunity” for the two Rekorderlig flavours launched in the country - Strawberry Lime and Wild Berry.
“While some people are aware of apple cider and in fewer cases pear, the fruit style of Rekorderlig is relatively new. We just have to get the product in their hands.”
Vincini also said distributors have been keen to work with Chilli because of cider's potential in the US.
“Distributors see cider as the huge growth category for themselves and therefore they want education to spread,” he said. “Once it happens it will be a tipping point.”
Rekorderlig is owned by Swedish brewer AB Abro Bryggeri, which retains the domestic rights to the brand.
Figures in April showed that hard cider is continuing its ascent in the US, with on-trade sales up by 70% in the first quarter of this year.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US