US: CEDC closes Bols Hungary buy
Central European Distribution Corporation has completed its purchase of Bols Hungary.
The US-based company confirmed yesterday (13 July) that it had acquired 100% of Bols' share capital from Remy Cointreau and DELB. CEDC has also bought the Royal Vodka trademark - the number one selling vodka in Hungary - for around US$19.6m.
In the full year to March, Bols Hungary had net sales excluding excise tax of around US$22m and achieved a net income margin of approximately 8% to 10%.
CEDC said that it expected the transaction to be accretive to 2006 fully diluted earnings per share.
Speaking to just-drinks last month, CEDC's president and CEO, William Carey, said: "As the producer of Royal Vodka in its home market, we feel this is a very natural fit. Also, when you look at a market like Hungary, where the majority of the drinks business is in the on-trade, it pays to have an on-trade sales force - something that Bols Hungary has."
In June, CEDC renewed its distribution agreement for its Zubrowka vodka brand with Pernod Ricard, which had held the distribution rights to Zubrowka since it agreed a deal with the brand's previous owner, Polish distiller Polmos Bialystok. CEDC bought Bialystok last year.
In her first monthly column for just-drinks, renowned spirits journalist Patience Gould looks ahead to what 2007 has in store for the major international spirits producers....
Drinks Americas Holdings has confirmed the appointment of a corporate controller....
Norwegian wine and spirits group Arcus is mulling a takeover bid for Sweden's V&S Group, just-drinks can reveal....
V&S Group has vowed to appeal against a ruling from a Swedish court that said the company had infringed the trademark rights for Californian wine brand Golden Gate....
Bacardi is set to launch a marketing assault behind Noilly Prat vermouth to raise international awareness of the brand....
Pernod Ricard has launched an Internet sales site in dedicated to offering customers, and particularly connoisseurs, top of the range products in France....
Sinergiya has snapped up Russian Vodka Company, according to local reports....
India's UB Group has refused to confirm reports that it will not raise its bid for Whyte & Mackay ahead of a reported meeting between the two companies to finalise the deal....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Edrington names European Travel Retail head
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets