EXCLUSIVE - UK: C&C Group to withdraw from white cider
C&C Group is looking to exit the UK's white cider category, just-drinks understands.
The Ireland-based group, which inherited white cider brands such as Diamond White when it bought The Gaymer Cider Co in 2009, is believed to be lining up the withdrawal in the long term. Speaking to just-drinks earlier today (23 March), a spokesperson for C&C confirmed the move, but declined to give specific date details for withdrawal.
Heineken was the first major brewer to pull out of white cider back in 2009, when it withdrew its White Lightning brand from the market.
The spokesperson credited Heineken for taking the lead, and said that C&C will follow suit. “For us, white cider is not a long-term, sustainable product,” the spokesperson said. “It is also a small and diminishing part of our business.” The company is keener to concentrate on the premium end of the cider market in the UK, through its Magners brand.
“We will follow Heineken out (of the category) in the long term,” the spokesperson added.
The definition of white cider is broadly considered to be cider produced with culinary or desert apples, which reduces the presence of any colour.
According to the National Association of Cider Makers, white cider accounts for 0.5% of total UK alcohol by serve.
Seperately, C&C Group came out in favour of minimum pricing today, in response to a proposal by the UK government. This position was against other cider producers, with the National Association of Cider Makers speaking out against the plans.
The future remains bright for the energy drinks category, according to Richard Haffner....
Carlsberg was keen to put on a show in Russia last week. The Danish company had invited the analyst community to its main Baltika brewery in St Petersburg and wanted to reassure folk that, despite rec...
Italian wine producer Marchesi de' Frescobaldi is aiming to boost its US presence with two key appointments....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research