IRELAND: C&C Group quiet on Diageo bottling deal
C&C Group close to bottling deal with Diageo, Heineken - report
Diageo and Heineken are interested in signing a permanent deal to use some of C&C Group's spare bottling capacity at its Clonmel facility in Ireland, according to the Sunday Times newspaper last weekend. The Magners cider owner declined to comment on the speculation when contacted by just-drinks today (5 January).
Diageo also declined to comment, but it added: "On occasion and intermittently we use C&C for bottling when we are at full capacity and need them for the overflow of our orders."
C&C Group is understood to have spare bottling capacity at its Clonmel site due to a sharp drop in cider sales volumes over the last three years.
In its 2010 annual report, C&C Group stated that it had decided to re-evaluate the value of its cider production facility in Clonmel due to "significant excess capacity levels" there. This process led to a write-down charge of EUR136.5m (US$181m) for the fiscal year to the end of February 2009. There was no change in the value of the assets in the subsequent year.
The group's cider volumes have continued to struggle in Ireland. C&C's Bulmers cider sales fell by 3.4% in volume and 4.4% in value for the six months to the end of August last year. In October, the group said it would cut a further 50 jobs in its Bulmers operations in Ireland.
This month's management briefing for just-drinks' subscribers looks at the retail landscape for alcoholic drinks. In part one, we look at the shift from the on-trade to the off-trade in the mature mar...
Diageo's funding of a programme in the UK to train midwives in informing women about alcohol consumption during pregnancy has been criticised by health professionals. Ben Cooper believes Diageo's move...
As Diageo plans to increase its capacity across a range of distilleries in Scotland, we bring you the latest stats on where the biggest markets for Scotch whisky lie around the world....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research