DENMARK: Carlsberg workers return after nine-day strike
Carlsberg ran out of draught beer in Denmark because of the action
Workers at Carlsberg's Fredericia production facility in Denmark have returned to work today (23 August) after a nine-day strike.
The industrial action broke out on Wednesday last week after the 130 members of the 3F trade union objected to a non-union employee working at the plant. Carlsberg ran out of draught beer and soft drinks for its domestic market because of the action.
But today, a company spokesperson said the workers were back on site following a vote. “This morning there was a majority (vote) for going back to work,” the spokesperson told just-drinks. “We did not take part in these meetings.”
Local media reported yesterday that the company had appealed to the labour court, Arbejdsretten, to have all 130 of the striking workers sacked. However, the Carlsberg spokesperson said the company would not be allowed to do this during an industrial conflict.
A union representative is understood to have told local radio that it was the right time to go back to work, but there had been no solutions.
Earlier this week, Carlsberg reported a slight rise in first-half profits and sales, as Asia and Eastern Europe propped up its struggling Western Europe business.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China