FINLAND/CROATIA: Carlsberg signs Budvar deals
The Danish brewing giant has been in talks with Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar to handle its flagship brand in certain European markets.
Carlsberg's Finnish arm, local drinks group Sinebrychoff, will distribute Budvar and its stablemate Budvar Premium Dark in Finland.
A Sinebrychoff spokesperson told just-drinks today (24 January) that the brand will initially go on sale in the Finnish on-trade and will be rolled out to the off-premise in April.
"These two great beers fit our House of Beers concept," the Sinebrychoff spokesperson said. The company imports some 16 beers into Finland through its House of Beers Arm, she said, which targets discerning beer drinkers in Finland.
Sinebrychoff said sales from the stable, while small, doubled last year. The company also imports brands including Guinness, Leffe and Franziskaner into Finland.
Budvar CEO Jirí Bocek said: "Our brewery is gaining an excellent business partner in Finland. Both companies will benefit from this cooperation and we believe that it will also be appreciated by the Finnish connoisseurs of imported beers."
Bocek is just as upbeat Budvar's tie-up with Carlsberg in Croatia. The market, he said, held "great business potential" for the Czech brewer, which will sell its Budvar and its stablemate Budvar Premium Dark in the Balkan country.
Carlsberg Croatia MD Jorn Pedersen added: "We are very proud to have such famous and premium brand in our portfolio. It will significantly contribute to our efforts in offering strong premium brands to Croatian consumers."
Smirnoff and Johnnie Walker may make Diageo more money, but there is no more iconic brand in its portfolio than Guinness. Nevertheless, speculation continues that Diageo may sell off its main beer bra...
Carlsberg has denied reports that it will lose momentum in the run-up to finding a replacement CEO for the brewery....
Budejovicky Budvar has seen beer exports to the US leap in the first half of this year....
The Diageo-owned brewer Guinness has been the victim of an adulteration scam in Nigeria....
Carlsberg is launching a summer promotion in the UK for its flavoured beer Edge....
Budejovicky Budvar has sold 11% more beer in H1 than last year, according to reports....
Carlsberg's interest in Vin & Sprit should be seen as a way for the company to diversify out of beer and improve its "critical mass in drinks distribution," according to a research note by Dresdner Kl...
Carlsberg has shown an interest in Vin & Sprit, the makers of Absolut vodka, after the Swedish government sanctioned the sale of the wine and spirits company....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends