CHINA: Carlsberg "poised to sell" Chinese breweries
Carlsberg, the world's sixth-largest brewer, is reportedly poised to sell control of an unprofitable Shanghai brewery to Tsingtao Brewery Company, China's largest beermaker, according to Chinese press reports.Tsingtao disclosed its plans in June to acquire at least two foreign breweries in China's major cities to boost production capacity and to double its share of the world's second-largest beer market to 10%. Carlsberg is negotiating the sale of as much as 75% of its brewery in Songjiang, a Shanghai suburb, sources told a Chinese paper. The Songjiang brewery commenced operation in October 1998 with an investment of $36.4m. Carlsberg owns 95% of the plant. The remaining 5% is owned by the Songjiang city government.Chris Brook-Carter
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research