US: Calls for drink-drive limit to be cut across all 50 states
All 50 states are being urged to lower their drink-drive limit
Transport safety investigators in the US are calling on all 50 states to cut their drink-driving limit.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is urging states to adopt a blood-alcohol content (BAC) level of 0.05, compared to the current national level of 0.08. The proposal is one of 19 published in a report by the NTSB yesterday (14 May), aiming to "eliminate" accidents caused by drink-driving.
"Most Americans think that we've solved the problem of impaired driving, but in fact, it's still a national epidemic," NTSB chairman Deborah Hersman said.
The board, which does not have legislative powers, claims that lowering the national rate would save around 500 to 800 lives per year.
Other recommendations include the introduction of "sobriety checkpoints" and for states to expand laws allowing police to confiscate the licences of drink-drivers.
The Beer Institute said it will examine the recommendations and admitted there is still "work to be done". But, Joe McClain, the Beer Institute's president added: "We strongly encourage policymakers to direct their efforts where we know we can get results: by focusing on repeat offenders and increasing penalties on those with BAC of (0.15) or more."
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research