UK: Budejovicky Budvar claims victory in latest Anheuser-Busch InBev legal tussle
Budejovicky Budvar says the decision cannot be overturned
The UK Supreme Court last week threw out an appeal from A-B InBev against a previous ruling that rejected its demand to cancel Budvar's Budweiser trademark in the UK . The latest ruling cannot be overturned and the “case is completely finished”, the state-owned Czech company said yesterday (15 January).
"This attempt to change the final court decision shows the long-term interest A-B InBev has had in the exclusivity of the Budweiser trademark at any cost, not only in the UK but also globally,” Budvar chief executive Jiri Bocek said. "This controversial practice clearly shows the genuine strategic goals of our competitor.”
A-B InBev said it was disappointed by the UK ruling, but that it did not affect its Budweiser trademark in the country.
Budvar has been in dispute with A-B InBev over the Budweiser trademark for more than 100 years. In 2011, the European Court of Justice sided with the Czech company in its UK fight, saying “consumers are well aware of the difference” between the companies’ beers, while in 2009, A-B InBev failed in an attempt to register the Budweiser name as a protected trademark in the EU.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review