FINLAND: Brown-Forman will buy Finlandia vodka in "next few weeks", sources say
"The deal is virtually done. Brown-Forman needs a premium vodka and it already has the US distribution rights for the brand," said the source.
Rumours during the last few months have surrounded Brown-Forman's strategy in Europe and have gathered pace since it bought a 10% stake in Scotch producer Glenmorangie PLC in May. "Brown-Forman is renowned for spending its money wisely. It raised a lot of cash to buy Dewar's and Bombay Sapphire but Bacardi-Martini pipped them to the post. So it still has roughly £1 billion to spend," said a leading drinks analyst.
In February this year, the Finnish Ministry of Trade and Industry announced it was planning to sell one-third (33%) of the shares in the state-owned spirits and wine conglomerate, Altia Group, which produces the Finlandia brand. At the same time, Altia's management decided to restructure the group to incorporate the Finlandia vodka business, hiving it off as a third subsidiary similar to the group's other two existing companies, Primalco and Havistra.
Officials said in February that an international auction to sell the new company, to be rebranded Finlandia Worldwide, would begin in June 2000. "The auction is taking place. An announcement will be made soon, probably this month, but I cannot say anymore," Markku Tapio, the Ministry's director general told just-drinks.com
Though the actual sale is 33% of Altia, the draw for prospective foreign buyers is Finlandia. The convoluted nature of the deal, plus the state retaining 67%, however, has led some major drinks players to ignore the deal. Allied Domecq's CEO Philip Bowman, rumoured at one time to be a keen bidder, said at the company's results last month that "Finlandia is not for sale" and any assertion was "false".
In 1999, Altia Group's turnover was FIM 1.3 billion (218m euros) but any sale of Finlandia would not be a clear cut, 33% of this total. Trade ministry officials believe any final sum would be based on performance and future earnings potential of the brand, taking it well above the 72m euros mark.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
Bacardi USA., Inc. has appointed Sex and the City actress Kim Cattrall as the celebrity spokeswoman for its new FAB, Island Breeze....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
Brown-Forman Corporation has elected Patrick Bousquet-Chavanne to the company's board of directors....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research