US: Brown-Forman sees Q3 continue upward trend
- Year-to-date net profits climb by 10% to US$526m
- Net sales in nine months to end of January increase by 4.6% to $3.05bn
- Operating profits rise by 8.6% to $783m
- Raise full-year EPS outlook
Brown-Forman reported its Q3 and YTD results earlier today
Brown-Forman has toasted a "great" set of numbers for its fiscal third quarter, with the healthy momentum of the first half continuing.
The company said earlier today (5 March) that net profits in the nine months to the end of January came in 10% up on the corresponding period a year earlier, totalling US$526m. Net sales were up by 4.6% to $3.05bn, with operating profits following suit, increasing by 8.6% to $783m.
For the third quarter, net profits rose by 12.7% to $177m, on the back of a 5% lift in sales, which hit $1.08bn in the three months to the end of January. Operating profits were up by 7.6% at $255m.
The numbers were in line with first-half results released in December as Brown-Forman's North American whiskies continued to perform strongly.
Paul Varga, the company’s CEO, said, “We delivered great top- and bottom-line results in the third quarter, continuing the momentum from the first half. We believe our top-tier performance was due primarily to the global strength of the Jack Daniel’s trademark, disciplined innovation, our favourable skew to outperforming categories and price points, and our limited exposure to some of the emerging markets that have decelerated.”
The Jack Daniel’s portfolio grew underlying sales by 10%, including double-digit gains for Tennessee Honey, Brown-Forman said. Super-premium whiskey brands also showed impressive growth, with underlying sales up by 16%, including 27% growth from Woodford Reserve brands.
Looking ahead, Varga said the company is raising its full-year outlook and now expects low double-digit growth in underlying operating income. The diluted earnings per share (EPS) outlook was also raised, to $2.95-$3.05.
Brown-Forman's share price was up 1% in pre-market trading today.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
For a look at the results on a regional and brand basis, click here.
Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled...
Spirits in Portugal industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contai...
Spirits in New Zealand industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
Tequila is an alcoholic beverage that is produced from blue agave plants. People have mixed perceptions about tequila, but its acceptance is expected to increase during the forecast period. Manufactur...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research