US: Brown-Forman 'pleased' after Popcorn Sutton lawsuit settlement
Brown-Forman argued the packaging was too similar to its Jack Daniel's
Brown-Forman argued in a lawsuit last year that the packaging for Popcorn Sutton's Tennessee White Whiskey was “confusingly similar” to that of Jack Daniel's. However, the two parties have agreed a settlement that will see the smaller producer change its packaging, according to Brown-Forman.
Todd Campell, a US District Judge, granted a joint motion for dismissal of the lawsuit, the website Law360 reported yesterday (5 May).
In a statement to just-drinks today (6 May), a Brown-Forman spokesperson said: “Brown-Forman and Jack Daniel's Properties are pleased that an amicable settlement was reached and that Popcorn Sutton has agreed to change to a new bottle.
“The agreement calls for Popcorn Sutton to stop using the offending packaging by July 1, but consumers may see this existing packaging for a while as it sells through the retail trade before being replaced by the new bottle.”
The spokesperson declined to say whether there was any financial element to the settlement.
Popcorn Sutton has yet to respond to a request for comment. The company's whiskey is named after Appalachian moonshine producer Marvin 'Popcorn' Sutton. He committed suicide in 2009.
Bacardi has entered the Bourbon market, following its purchase of Angel's Share Brands and its Louisville Distilling Co subsidiary this week. just-drinks spoke to the company's co-founder and chief in...
Brown-Forman is among the leading forces in the advancing whiskies category while the iconic Jack Daniel’s brand secures the company an enviable place in the booming bourbon segment. This report exami...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
Spirits in Portugal industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contai...
Spirits in New Zealand industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research