FINLAND: Brown-Forman pays $83m for slice of Finlandia
The new company will be called Finlandia Vodka Worldwide Ltd. (FVW), with Altia Group holding a 55% stake and Brown-Forman the remaining 45% at a cost of FIM 522m ($83m). FVW will officially launch as an Altia subsidiary on 1 August 2000.
It will take control of the worldwide marketing rights for the Finlandia brand and will employ Brown-Forman as Finlandia's distributor in all countries outside of Finland, the Nordic and Baltic states, the Czech Republic and Poland. Brown-Forman has been the brand's distributor in the US since 1996.
Altia owns Primalco, the producer of Finlandia, which will continue to make the brand and sell it to FVW under a long-term supply contract. Under the agreement Altia has the right to sell its remaining 55% interest in FVW to Brown-Forman in the future.
Altia's president and CEO, Veikko Kasurinen said: "The incorporation of Finlandia vodka is part of the process of implementing Altia Group's strategy and developing its group and ownership structure…Our joint venture with Brown-Forman, the world's ninth biggest alcoholic beverage company, opens opportunities for us to strengthen Finlandia Vodka's distribution by utilising our partner's sales and distribution network and knowledge."
The FVW board will include Veikko Kasurinen, president and CEO of Altia; Ossi Loikkanen, Altia's CFO; and Leif Ekstrom, an Altia director. The US contingent will be Michael V. Cheek, president of B-F Beverages Worldwide North America Group, and Don Berg, president of B-F Beverages Worldwide Advancing Markets Group.
The new group will be structured as below:
click here to read original story
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
The US wines and spirits company, Brown-Forman, has launched its vodka brand, Finlandia, in India. Along with the core brand, three flavoured versions of Finlandia are also to be made available on the...
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits