UK: Brewers urge beer tax cut as part of new manifesto
The BBPA is hoping to score a hat-trick of duty level cuts
Brewers operating in the UK are calling for further cuts to beer duty levels as part of a new sector-wide manifesto launched today (10 July).
Trade body the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) said that forcing the UK Government to cut beer duty again in next year's Budget remains its “top priority”. In his last two Budgets, Chancellor George Osborne has reduced the duty level on beer after intense lobbying by the industry.
The BBPA said: “Fairer taxes are a top priority ... the UK beer tax burden remains disproportionately high, compared with most of the UK’s European neighbours.”
The manifesto, which sets out the BBPA's “vision” for 2020, also calls for:
- Beer to remain a “priority” within the Government's Food and Drink Export strategy
- A look at how to “improve” the small brewer relief system
It also includes a host of measures to improve trading conditions for the UK pub sector.
Brigid Simmonds, the BBPA's chief executive, said: “With the General Election just months away, our focus is on persuading politicians that with the right policies, we can have a thriving beer and pub sector serving local communities, and with investment and employment growth.
"Our manifesto will help us to make a clear and strong case on all these issues, with a further duty cut in the Budget in March 2015 our immediate priority.”
The UK's next General Election is due to take place on 7 May next year.
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO has said he is confident the US beer market will continue to improve this year....
Carlsberg A/S - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The beer industry's obsession with craft beer may have hit a peak of sorts with Anheuser-Busch InBev's snarky Super Bowl ad mocking craft beer lovers as soft and undeserving of "brewed the hard way" b...
Anheuser-Busch InBev NVSA (ABI) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compile...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report