EUROPE: Brewers' sponsorship helps drive economy - football chief
Only a fraction of sports sponsorship goes to major events, The Brewers of Europe said
The head of Europe's professional football leagues has warned that moves to keep brewers out of sports sponsorship would be “a step in the wrong direction”.
Sport is an economic driver in Europe and sponsorship an important source of revenue, Emanuel Macedo de Medeiros, the European Professional Football Leagues' CEO, said at The Brewers of Europe’s annual gala in Brussels on Thursday (22 November). “If the Eurozone crisis is to be resolved and vital sectors, such as sport and brewing, are to remain competitive and economically viable, then we need to be able to operate in a sustainable business environment,” he said.
The gala event, which also saw The Brewers of Europe appoint a new president, heard that Europe's brewers spend EUR1bn (US$1.3bn) each year on sports sponsorship. About two-thirds go to community-based events compared to about 12% spent on major events, the organisation said.
Brigid Simmonds, the British Beer & Pub Association's chief executive, said sponsorship was vital to sport's grassroots. “Beer sponsorships provide a lifeline for community events including sports activities, many of which would simply not happen without the support of local brewers and pubs,” she said.
Earlier this week, brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's spirits brands. Here's a look at the top ten, along with the methodology use...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research