US: Bourbon boosts bullish Fortune
US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has reaffirmed its full-year earnings target as it released its third-quarter results today (27 October).
The company, which sells beverage alcohol through its Beam Global Spirits & Wine division, said it expects to "comfortably achieve" its target of double-digit growth in earnings per share this year.
During the three months to 30 September, Fortune saw operating income leap 29% year-on-year to US$379m on the back of a 23% jump in net sales to $2.2bn.
Chairman and CEO Norm Wesley said Fortune's "enhanced premium position" in wine and spirits would be a driver in the results. The company owns brands including Jim Beam Bourbon, Sauza Tequila and Clos du Bois wines.
Wesley pointed to the "strong sales gains" made by Jim Beam, Sauza and Maker's Mark Bourbon during the third quarter.
Wesley said: "We drove strong profit growth and higher margins in spirits and wine, benefiting from a strong increase in worldwide case volumes and the synergy benefits of last year's acquisition." Last year, Fortune teamed up with Pernod Ricard to buy UK drinks group Allied Domecq.
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
Norwegian wine sales and consumer purchasing trends have continued their upward trend, according to recent figures....
Representatives of the UK's four largest supermarket operators staunchly defended their price discounting policies on alcoholic drinks at a meeting organised yesterday (18 April) by the All Party Parl...
American teenage girls drink more than their parents realise, according to recent research....
The EU Wine Plan for Responsible Consumption Communication has been launched in the UK....
Central European Distribution Corporation is looking to buy an unnamed drinks distributor in Poland....
US beverage distributor Rémy Cointreau USA has created a new role for a control state director within the firm....
The European Parliament's economics committee has backed abolishing European Union (EU) common excise duty minimum rates....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends