US: Bottled wine increase marks "shift in trends" for imports - study
Demand for bottled wine is on the up
French and Italian wines have gained most from an increase in demand from US consumers for bottled wine, a new report has said.
Bottled wine imports to the US grew by 8% in the first quarter of the year, with France and Italy accounting for more than half of the 1.3m-case increase, according to Rabobank's latest report on the global wine industry, released yesterday (22 July). Spain (17%), Portugal (38%) and South Africa (10%) also experienced strong growth, but from a much smaller base, the report said.
Bulk wine imports to the US dropped by 17% in the same period and Rabobank said the fall could mark “the start of a shift in trends” towards bottled wine in the country.
The report also said the outlook for foreign wine makers in Brazil remained positive despite a slowdown in sales and a currency depreciation.
“The market environment (in Brazil) is evolving rapidly,” Rabobank analyst Stephen Rannekleiv said. “Large retailers are reviewing their management of the wine category by eliminating slower-rotating labels, resulting in an increased opportunity for bigger brands.”
Rannekleiv also said there has been an increase in the direct-to-consumer market, while a new tax environment “has increased transparency in the import and distribution category, thereby encouraging greater foreign and domestic investment”.
A Rabobank report in November called Brazil one of four “hidden gems” where wine makers can find fresh growth.
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review