CHINA: Bottled water market to grow as health concerns boost consumption
More Chinese people are on the move
Health fears over traditional water supplies helped push China's bottled water consumption up by 14% last year, with further growth on the horizon, a new study shows.
Consumption in 2012 hit 54bn litres in China, with the category's market value reaching US$16bn, a 143% rise since 2008, according to a Zenith International report released late last week. The market value is forecast to increase by another 73% by 2017.
“China's rapid urbanisation and economic growth mean that more people are on the move, leading busier lifestyles and with a better understanding of health,” said Zenith regional research co-ordinator Yumiko Magara Wilkey. “General consumer concerns over pollution and purity have helped bottled water to be chosen as an affordable preference.”
Annual consumption per person of 40 litres was well ahead of the Asia-Pacific average of 27 litres, however higher rates in South Korea and Indonesia point to more potential growth, the report said.
The report added that in China there are “significant differences between each region and the market is highly fragmented”.
Ray Rowlands, of Drinksinfo Ltd, explores medicinal water, a segment of the bottled water category that, whilst offering undeniable health benefits, has been largely rejected by the global consumer....
In this month's look at sustainability issues in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argues that, however much has been done in the past in this arena. there is always more that can - and should - be done...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research