CHINA: Bottled water market to grow as health concerns boost consumption
More Chinese people are on the move
Health fears over traditional water supplies helped push China's bottled water consumption up by 14% last year, with further growth on the horizon, a new study shows.
Consumption in 2012 hit 54bn litres in China, with the category's market value reaching US$16bn, a 143% rise since 2008, according to a Zenith International report released late last week. The market value is forecast to increase by another 73% by 2017.
“China's rapid urbanisation and economic growth mean that more people are on the move, leading busier lifestyles and with a better understanding of health,” said Zenith regional research co-ordinator Yumiko Magara Wilkey. “General consumer concerns over pollution and purity have helped bottled water to be chosen as an affordable preference.”
Annual consumption per person of 40 litres was well ahead of the Asia-Pacific average of 27 litres, however higher rates in South Korea and Indonesia point to more potential growth, the report said.
The report added that in China there are “significant differences between each region and the market is highly fragmented”.
The Chinese Soft Drinks Market: What Consumers Drink and Why?
This report provides the results for the Soft Drinks market in China from Canadean’s unique, highly detailed study of consumers’ Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an ...read more
Ray Rowlands, of Drinksinfo Ltd, explores medicinal water, a segment of the bottled water category that, whilst offering undeniable health benefits, has been largely rejected by the global consumer....
The G8 Soft Drinks industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The guide al...
Bottled Water in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2...
In this month's look at sustainability issues in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argues that, however much has been done in the past in this arena. there is always more that can - and should - be done...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research