UK/US: Boston Beer Co ties with Shepherd Neame in UK
Shepherd Neame will brew Boston Beer Co's Samuel Adams' brand in the UK under licence
US craft brewer Boston Beer Co has agreed a deal with the UK's Shepherd Neame that will see the Samuel Adams brand brewed outside its home market for the first time.
Shepherd Neame said earlier this week that it will brew Samuel Adams Boston Lager under licence in the UK, for sale on draught from April. It already imports packaged Samuel Adams into the UK, but will replace 35.5cl US-style bottles with British 33cl and 50cl formats.
“The primary aim is to improve the freshness of the Sam Adams we’re offering to British beer drinkers,” said Boston Beer's founder, Jim Koch.
Graeme Craig, Shepherd Neame’s sales and marketing director, added: “We’re seeing growing interest in the US craft beer scene and we both felt this was a better way of doing things rather than an elongated supply chain.”
Craig also said that Shepherd Neame has ended contract-brewing for Carlsberg-owned Holsten Export after both parties mutually agreed not to renew the deal.
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report