Construction of Bordeaux wine venue La Cité du Vin started in 2013

Construction of Bordeaux wine venue La Cité du Vin started in 2013

The 'La Cité du Vin' wine exhibition in France is set to be officially inaugurated today.

Located on the banks of the Garonne river in Bordeaux, the permanent exhibition, which is owned by the City of Bordeaux, covers 13,350 square metres and comprises ten levels, a 250-seat auditorium, 19 themed areas and around ten hours of content hosted on 120 audiovisual units. Construction of the building started in late-2013 and has come in at around EUR81m (US$) before tax. 

While the private sector has covered 19% of construction costs, the remaining 81% has come from public sources, led by the City of Bordeaux (38%) and the European Union (15%).

Local wine trade association the Conseil Interprofessionnel des Vins de Bordeaux covered 7% of total costs.

As well as French wine industry bodies from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Roussillon and Sud-Ouest, the site's "gold" partners also include the trade associations for Austria, Chile, Mexico, Moldova, Portugal, South Africa and Spain.

"Our partnership strategy endows La Cité du Vin with an international dimension," said Florence Maffrand, Partnership manager of the foundation for wine culture & civilisations. "Our winemaking partners throughout the world guarantee La Cité du Vin a supply of international wines for the Belvedere (tasting area). These highly-motivated partners are proud to bring their wines and their rich and varied know-how to La Cité du Vin."

Wine critic Robert Parker and French actor Pierre Arditi have been appointed ambassadors for the project.

La Cité du Vin opens to the public next month. Entry to the building will be free, with tours, workshops and the auditorium requiring a paid-for ticket.

Do consumers care where wine brands come from or how they're made? - Click here for a Comment