US: Beam Inc speaks out over Suntory deal misconduct claims
Beam said it will strongly defend itself against the claims
Financial litigation specialists Finkelstein Thompson said today (14 January) that it is investigating potential claims by Beam shareholders around how the deal, announced yesterday, was handled by the company’s board.
“The investigation is focused on whether Beam’s board of directors breached its fiduciary duty in failing to maximise consideration to shareholders, the potential unfairness of the consideration to shareholders, the process by which the board considered the transaction, and potential conflicts of interest among the company’s board members,” Finkelstein Thompson said.
However, in a statement to just-drinks, a Beam spokesperson said: “These efforts are baseless and without merit. The company will vigorously defend against any and all such claims.”
Beam shareholders are set to receive $83.50 per share if the deal completes as expected in 2014’s second quarter. JP Morgan analyst, John Faucher, was quoted in the New York Times as saying: “It’s a good deal for Beam shareholders."
However, Faucher also suggested that Beam "did not appear to fully shop itself around... as the deal came together quickly".
Most analysts have ruled out the possibility of counter bids by other global spirits groups.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces written by our regular columnists on j...
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends