AUS: Beam Global Spirits & Wine partners with Coca-Cola Amatil, whither Pacific Beverages?
Coca-Cola Amatil will take sole sales and distribution control of Beam Global's brands in Australia
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has shifted its sales and distribution tie-up in Australia with Pacific Beverages to one of the venture's joint-owners, Coca-Cola Amatil.
The US-based unit of Fortune Brands confirmed today (21 March) that it has signed a ten-year “incentive-based” agreement with Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) in Australia. The agreement sees CCA continue with the sale and distribution of Beam Global's products that Pacific Beverages - CCA’s joint venture with SABMiller – cemented in 2007.
CCA will also continue to produce Beam Global's RTD brands in the country, where Beam Global is the market leader with Jim Beam and Cola.
The announcement casts further doubt on the viability of the Pacific Beverages joint venture between CCA and SABMiller. A month ago, CCA's managing director, Terry Davis, dismissed reports that the division was approaching the end of its tenure. “There are no changes and there have been no changes to our joint-venture arrangement with SABMiller, full-stop,” Davis said.
Speculation out of Australia earlier this year has suggested that the two have reached an in-principle agreement to dissolve Pacific Beverages, should SABMiller seek to buy out Foster's' Carlton & United Breweries (CUB) business. Foster's is set to demerge its beer and wine units by the end of May.
No-one was available for comment at either CCA or SABMiller when contacted by just-drinks today.
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends