UK: Bath Ales switches MD
UK brewer and pub operator Bath Ales has appointed a new managing director as it looks to capitalise on its recent healthy financial performance.
Robin Couling has been promoted from his position as retail director to the role, the Bristol-based company announced today (11 October). Couling replaces Roger Jones, who becomes executive chairman of the company.
“Interest in beer is returning and that creates opportunities,” said Couling. “Following commitment to a huge amount of development and improvement across the business, particularly in our retail division, I have a great platform from which to drive further growth.”
Roger Jones, one of the company’s founders, added: “In the last year alone we grew the business by around 25%, which was driven by our retail success as well as strong beer sales. We’re making this shift to meet the demands of the business and strengthen the team at the top.”
Bath Ales operates ten venues in the Bristol and Bath area and produces a range of 13 ales, with Gem the most high-profile.
Last week, UK beer trade bodies suggested the sector is still over-taxed despite the Government dropping its duty escalator on beer in this year's Budget.
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends