US: Bacardi denies contract breach as New England Patriots file complaint
Bacardi denies the claims
Bacardi has said it “firmly disagrees” with claims by American football team the New England Patriots, which is suing the drinks group for an alleged breach of contract.
The Bermuda-headquartered group has been accused of backing out of of a “multi-million dollar” exclusive sponsorship agreement, which included plans for a Bacardi-branded pavilion at the club's ground, the Boston Globe has reported. In a complaint filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week, the Patriots reportedly said it wasted time and money on the deal due to "bad-faith negotiating" by the spirits firm and does not have time to secure another drinks sponsor.
When contacted by just-drinks today (21 July), Patricia Neal, a Bacardi spokesperson said: "We firmly disagree with the claims in the complaint and will vigorously defend our company’s position."
Bacardi is currently on the hunt for a permanent CEO to replace Ed Shirley, who left the group in April. Michael Dolan is acting as interim CEO for the spirits firm.
Bacardi has launched a new white corn whiskey brand as it targets growth in flavoured spirits....
Bacardi has launched a range of Single Cane Estate rums, describing them as the "new single malt" of the category....
La Martiniquaise-owned rum brand Saint James is celebrating its 250th anniversary with a global marketing campaign and a commemorative bottling....
Bacardi has expanded its rum portfolio with the acquisition of Banks, a "super-premium" range that sells just 6,000 cases a year. The company announced the transaction today but did not release financ...
Royal Dutch Distillers has recruited Bacardi's former head of German operations to the role of CEO of its De Kuyper Holding business....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends