GERMANY: Bacardi, Brown-Forman split
Bacardi goes it alone in Germany
Bacardi and Brown-Forman have agreed to end their distribution partnership in Germany.
From September, Bacardi will no longer distribute in Germany for the producer of Southern Comfort and Jack Daniel's, Bacardi announced today (1 February).
It said that a decision to end the distribution was "mutually agreed".
Bacardi CEO Séamus McBride said: "This decision supports Bacardi’s strategy of growing its family of premium brands in key regional and local markets."
Bacardi wants to focus solely on core brands, such as Bacardi, Martini, Grey Goose vodka and Bombay Sapphire gin, it said.
Brown-Forman said today that it will establish its own distribution subsidiary in Germany, to operate from 1 October 2010.
"We believe that establishing our own distribution company will help us accelerate the development of our brand portfolio in Germany over time," said Brown-Forman CEO Paul Varga.
The two companies will continue to cooperate on distribution in the UK and US, as well as several other markets across Asia and Europe.
A spokesperson for Bacardi added, however, that "both companies will continue to explore new arrangements where appropriate".
According to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), about 70% of the 2.5bn litres of fruit and vegetable juices sold in Mexico in 2009 were produced domestically. Mexico exported US$266.99m worth of...
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends