UK: Australian wine up 13% after summer
The latest MAT figures (July/August 2003) show total Australian case sales reaching nearly 14.5m, up 13% on the year and triple the growth of the total UK wine category, which is currently tracking at +4%.
The Australian sector has driven not only grown in volume in the UK wine category, but also grown in value. Annual sales revenue to July/August 2003, for the Australian sector totaled £956m, nearly 25% of the value of the UK wine market.
Brands continue to drive the overall market. The Australian wine group Southcorp said that its brands Lindemans and Rosemount Estate, which now account for 20% of Australian wine sales revenue in the UK, have this year generated a combined revenue of £153m, nearly £3m in business for the UK off trade each week. Lindemans Bin 65 Chardonnay, with revenue totaling £18m, is growing at 28% year-on-year.
Red wine has driven Australian growth in the last 12 months. Australian red wine has grown at 17% in both volume and value, while white wine volume growth has been more restrained at 9%.
The most popular red style remains the blend of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon, which accounts for 33% of the Australian sector by volume.
The hot weather in the summer also aided sales of Australian white wines and between May and August this year sales volumes climbed by 11%. Chardonnay maintains its pre-eminent position as the leading Australian white wine, commanding nearly 50% of Australian white wine volume sales.
Having arguably failed to reach their potential in the US, following a phenomenal start in California, the "smoothie" has become a major success story in the UK soft drinks market. So much so, accordi...
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Cerveceria Chile saw its domestic market share leap last month, according to recent figures....
Average per capita wine consumption in Italy has dropped by over a half in the last 33 years, according to recent figures....
The sale of mineral water at retail level in Switzerland has fallen 10% in the year to May....
Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has had its rating upgraded....
Carlsberg has renewed its sponsorship with European Champions League winners Liverpool....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report