INDONESIA: Asahi Group expands bottled water business in US$193m deal
Asahi wants to gain more access to Indonesia's bottled water market
An Asahi Group joint-venture in Indonesia is to take control of bottled water producer Tirta Bahagia Group in a deal worth IDR2.2tn (US$193m).
Tirta Bahagia Group, which owns the Club bottled water brand, will transfer control of the 22 companies it owns to two companies, PT Tirta Sukses Perkasa and PT Tirta Makmur Perkasa. Both companies are JVs set up last month by Asahi, Tirta Bahagia and PT Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur, which operates other JVs in Indonesia with Asahi.
In a statement released on Friday (15 November), Asahi said the latest deal will give it “full access to (Indonesia's) bottled water market, the largest segment of the non-alcohol beverage market”. The company said it will also continue its expansion into Indonesia's non-alcoholic beverage market, “for which strong growth is expected”.
The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2014.
The statement said the two new JVs will acquire “most of the assets of TB Group”, including land, buildings, machinery, vehicles, furniture and fixtures and inventory, as well as trademarks. PT Tirta Sukses Perkasa, a manufacturing joint venture, will take manufacturing assets, while PT Tirta Makmur Perkasa, a distribution joint venture, will control distribution assets.
Asahi and Indofood JVs will own 80% of the two new ventures, while Tirta Bahagia Group will own 20% through its Multi Bahagia unit.
Tirta Bahagia Group is second in the Indonesian bottled water market behind Danone, Asahi said.
Ray Rowlands, of Drinksinfo Ltd, explores medicinal water, a segment of the bottled water category that, whilst offering undeniable health benefits, has been largely rejected by the global consumer....
Danone’s global presence in soft drinks traverses developed and emerging markets alike. While the company’s premium brands recover underpinned by European economic stability, its strong volumes in mar...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Ukraine to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. T...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Venezuela to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- This week in spirits & wine
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts