UK: ASA rejects complaint over Pernod Ricard's Chivas Regal Scotch whisky ad
A poster advertising the whisky displayed the text: "Annual bonus: Having more friends than you had last year", prompting a complaint the ad "implied alcohol could enhance popularity". But Pernod argued its "Live with Chivalry" campaign, running since Autumn 2008, aimed to "remind Chivas Regal drinkers there were elements of living one's life besides personal advancement such as enjoying friends' company or celebrating the success of others".
The producer told the ASA it thought most people "appreciate and understand their message that financial success was not the 'be-all and end-all of life'".
In its ruling, published on Wednesday (4 July), the ASA said because the poster was part of a series it thought its context would be clear to consumers.
"We considered the phrase 'Annual bonus: having more friends than you had last year' encouraged consumers to change their perception of what an 'annual bonus' meant to them and to recognise those additional friends as a bonus," the ASA added.
It refused to uphold the complaint and said no further action was needed.
Chivas Brothers is Pernod Ricard's UK-based Scotch whisky and premium gin unit.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2012....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review