News

SINGAPORE: APB finally completes DB acquisition

Most popular

Beverage companies set for tough pricing desicions

Campari faces familiar troubles - analysis

The 'metaverse' opportunity for beverage brands

Sustainability and responsibility activations

The soft drinks opportunity from on-premise return

MORE

Asia Pacific Breweries (APB) has fully acquired DB Breweries after a failed attempt four years ago. The producer of Tiger beer said late last week that the completion of its acquisition of the New Zealand brewer marks the beginning of the next stage of its long-term involvement with DB.

In 2000, APB tried to buy the remaining 41.61% of DB that it did not own. The attempt succeeded only in upping APB's stake to 76.9%. In July of this year, however, APB launched another offer for the remaining 23.1% for NZ9.50 per share - a 20.3% premium over DB's last traded price of NZ$7.90.

APB's stake in DB broke 90% just a month after it launched the offer as other major shareholders accepted the offer. APB proceeded with a compulsory acquisition after the offer closed on 6 September, leading to DB being delisted from the New Zealand Stock Exchange a week later.

The offer values DB - which produces and markets some of New Zealand's best-known beers such as Export Gold and Heineken - at about NZ$479m (US$327.8m).

In a statement, APB chief executive Koh Poh Tiong said: "Over the years, APB has worked closely with the board and management of DB to restructure it into one that is focused on its core competencies - that is, the production and marketing of quality beers.

"This has led to sizeable value creation for the company and its shareholders," he added.

New Zealand is one of the top three best-performing markets for APB.


Sectors: Beer & cider

Companies: Heineken

Related Content

Comment - Wine - Treasury Wine Estates, PLB, Bibendum: Finally Lively in Wine

Comment - Wine - Treasury Wine Estates, PLB, Bibendum: Finally Lively in Wine...

Comment - Wehring's Way: Heineken, F&N, APB, ThaiBev - More Questions Than Answers

Comment - Wehring's Way: Heineken, F&N, APB, ThaiBev - More Questions Than Answers...

NETHERLANDS/SINGAPORE: Heineken makes

NETHERLANDS/SINGAPORE: Heineken makes "final offer" for Asia Pacific Breweries...

SINGAPORE: ThaiBev counters Heineken's Asia Pacific Breweries bid

SINGAPORE: ThaiBev counters Heineken's Asia Pacific Breweries bid...

Oops! This article is copy protected.

Why can’t I copy the text on this page?

The ability to copy articles is specially reserved for people who are part of a group membership.

How do I become a group member?

To find out how you and your team can copy and share articles and save money as part of a group membership call Sean Clinton on
+44 (0)1527 573 736 or complete this form..



Forgot your password?