EUR: Anheuser-Busch Inbev, Budejovicky Budvar both allowed Budweiser in UK
Budejovicky Budvar's Budvar and Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser should co-exist in the UK, the ECJ has ruled
European Union (EU) judges have declared that both Anheuser-Busch InBev and Budejovický Budvar can use the trademark Budweiser in the UK, as “consumers are well aware of the difference” between the companies’ beers.
Opposing a bid by A-B InBev to cancel Budvar’s UK registration of the mark in 2000, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) said today (22 September) that A-B InBev had the right to apply for cancellation of Budvar's registration in 1989, because A-B InBev had registered its mark in the country in 1976.
However, the ECJ added that A-B InBev's application should only succeed if the later mark has had “an adverse effect on … the earlier trade mark” through consumer confusion. Even though the trade marks are identical, “the beers of Anheuser-Busch and Budvar are clearly identifiable, since their tastes, prices and get-ups have always been different”, said judges.
Anheuser-Busch InBev didn't sell any more beer in 2011 than it did in 2010, but the brewer has earned praise for its margin management and can expect better in 2012....
Craft Brew Alliance has posted a strong set of numbers for 2011, highlighting the continued growth on offer to craft brewers in the US....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has extended the partnership between its Budweiser brand and the US Olympic Committee (USOC)....
The battle to acquire control of China's Kingway Brewery is unlikely to turn ugly, with none of the three front-runners prepared to enter a bidding war, according to an analyst....
Anheuser-Busch InBev is giving a fresh promotional push to Stella Artois 4% in the UK, with the launch of the fifth instalment of its 'Smooth Escapades' TV advertising campaign....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends