MEXICO/US: Anheuser-Busch InBev admits to Grupo Modelo discussions
Could Anheuser-Busch InBev be poised to make a move for all-out control of Grupo Modelo?
Reports late yesterday (24 June) claimed that A-B InBev, which owns a 50% non-controlling stake in the Mexican brewer, is poised to spend in the region of US$12bn on upping its holding. The Wall Street Journal cited unnamed sources close to the matter in its coverage.
The speculation has prompted A-B InBev to issue a statement this afternoon. In it, the brewer said that discussions have taken place between the two.
“A-B InBev routinely considers a variety of strategic options to create value for its shareholders,” the company said. “There have been discussions between the company and Grupo Modelo regarding a possible transaction to expand its current relationship. These discussions may or may not lead to a transaction.”
No-one was available for comment at Grupo Modelo when contacted by just-drinks.
To read the statement, click here.
For just-drinks' round-up of coverage of the speculation, click here.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2012....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research